Monday, April 25, 2011

Best Week Ever part 2

Part two of my vacation week.  As promised. Would I lie to you?

Wednesday (4-20-11):  Back in Paris! (for me and Caitlin, first time for Kyle).  We walked from the Arc de Triomphe down the Champs Elysees, bought sandwiches at Monoprix and had a picnic lunch in the Tuileries, then went to see the Louvre (we didn't go in) and Notre Dame (we did go in ...it's free).  Caitlin and I went for a short run at Bois de Boulogne and then we got ready to go to dinner, in the new dress I bought while in Amsterdam (it's really cute, you'd like it mom).  I finally made it to Refuge des Fondues, the restaurant that serves bread-and-cheese fondue with wine in (rather large) baby bottles, supposedly designed at one point to avoid the tax on anything served in a stemmed glass.  We met another American couple there who had just finished as we arrived, and all in all it was quite an experience...definitely something I'll do again (after I get paid, as I have spent pretty much all my money on this past week.  Not that I regret it, of course.)


Thursday (4-21-11): Breakfast in America for a breakfast burrito (me) and hamburgers (Kyle and Caitlin - it was actually around lunch time once we got there).  Did some shopping for Caitlin so she can get some non-Africa clothes while Kyle explored the Pompidou modern art museum.  Met Etienne then went back to my apartment where Caitlin made a delicious sausage and pasta dish for dinner, and after eating we went to the Eiffel Tower where we sat and watched it light up a few times and listened to music on Kyle's iPod speakers. I'm cheating a little, I didn't take a picture of this (I forgot...I know) so I'm using an old picture from October or November, but it still gives you the same idea.  Actually I'll be cheating for the next few days because I forgot to take pictures for a while (well, one day there really just wasn't anything worth taking pictures of.)  But don't worry, it still gets the same point across.



Friday (4-22-11):  Woke up and went to Sacre Coeur, both mine and Caitlin's favorite place in Paris. Although I've been there plenty of times, I haven't ever been there during the day, and I hadn't climbed up to the dome.  Turns out not many people know about the dome, the entrance is a bit hidden and it's not very advertised, and though there was a huge Good Friday crowd waiting to get into the church itself, there were only about 3 or 4 people in line for the Dome.  So up we climbed, really not to bad thanks to climbing the stairs to my apartment (one of the benefits, I've found) and we got an even higher view than the one from the steps of the church (one of the highest in Paris, actually, second only to the top of the Eiffel Tower).  It also helped that it was a beautiful day outside and the weather was clear and you could see a good distance.  I'm cheating with the picture again, I found this on google, but I really did see this so I could have taken it.  Please don't sue me.  Afterwards Caitlin and Kyle shipped out for London and I took a nap, attempted a run that my knees just weren't feeling, and spent the rest of the evening at Le Cavern, a nifty little cave bar in the 6th.  Good night.

Saturday (4-23-11): catching up on sleep and relaxing and enjoying having my apartment back to myself.  I really am a green, I need my sponge-squeezing time.  I spent the day being lazy and watching my only DVD, 500 Days of Summer, which I have watched countless times, in English and in French.  I'm pretty sure the only time I left my apartment today was to go to the grocery store.  Winning.
My favorite scene: "Darling, I don't know how to tell you this, but there's a Chinese family in our bathroom."

Sunday (4-24-11): Easter!  Had an Easter picnic with Claudia and Kristin in Bois de Vincennes, and there was a fair there with rides!  We need to look it up and find out how much it is because I definitely want to go before it disappears.  We picnicked by the lake then walked around for a while (read: got lost) but the weather was great so I can't really complain.  They even have little rowboats you can rent out on the lake, like at Bois de Boulogne.  They really put a lot of effort into making these parks picturesque.  (I actually did take this picture this time).  Afterwards Claudia and I ended at WOS (big surprise) and watched the Miami Heat game and listened to live music and bonded over beers.  Typical night, but I still love it.

And now today is Monday, and as much as I would like to post a picture 1) I haven't left my apartment yet, and 2) the batteries in my camera are dead and I need new ones.  I'll hit up the grocery store ASAP (they might not be open, apparently today is a holiday).  So maybe I'll end up cheating again, or maybe I'll be able to squeeze one more photo out of my AAs.  Back to work tomorrow....such is life.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I saw your first post about being an au pair. Will you be doing part 2 of that series?

    ReplyDelete